Skoda India has launched the much-awaited C+ segment sedan ‘Rapid’, which will be manufactured in the same plant (Chakan, Pune) where Vento is also manufactured. Skoda Rapid is based on the platform of Vento and shares most of the parts with it including the engine, gearbox and suspension. Initially, it was expected that it will be sold as Rapid, then there were rumours that it will be christened 'Lauretta' but Skoda Auto India has again surprised everybody that finally their all-new entry level sedan will be sold as 'Rapid' in India. It is powered by same petrol and diesel engine which are doing duty under the hood of Volkswagen Vento. Skoda Auto recently changed the variant names of Fabia and Laura (Classic to Active and Ambiente to Ambition); Rapid will also bears new variant name: Rapid Active, Rapid Ambition and Rapid Elegance. Skoda Rapid gets design cues from the Skoda Fabia and Volkswagen Vento, it was expected that it will be based on the MissionL design concept displayed the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show, but to keep the costs down Skoda Auto has kept the design very basic and familiar. It will compete with the likes of Honda City, Volkswagen Vento, New Hyundai Verna, New Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Aveo, Fiat Linea and Tata Indigo Manza.
“SKODA Auto India marks a crucial milestone in India with the launch of Rapid. We intend to strengthen our presence in the highly competitive C segment in the country with this launch. We are confident that this car will become the cornerstone for the SKODA brand in India. It‟s distinctly fresh, young, smart and clear-cut design makes Rapid a well-balanced car and therefore successfully fills the gap between SKODA Fabia and the current Laura”, Mr. Thomas Kuehl, Member of the Board & Director, Sales & Marketing, SKODA Auto India commented. With the central philosophy of “Clever engineering with a human touch” and the attitude of “Listen closely to customers’ wishes”, SKODA also unveiled its new corporate identity with a young, fresh and precise logo in India.
Mr. Thomas Kuehl further added, “The Rapid is positioned as a family car, compact enough for the city and spacious enough for longer trips. Our plans for the Rapid in India are fairly ambitious, given that we expect it to become the bestselling car in our model line-up in India, in the near future. We aim to penetrate in the competitive C segment and have an advantage over our competitors with our high quality design and unique features for the Indian market.”
Fast Facts about Skoda Rapid
- Skoda Rapid will be available in both petrol and diesel
- The main rival cars are Volkswagen Vento, Honda City, Fiat Linea, New Hyundai Verna Fluidic, New Ford Fiesta and Nissan Sunny
- Base model of Rapid petrol priced at Rs. 6.75 lakhs (ex-showroom New Delhi)
- Base model of Rapid diesel is priced at Rs. 7.96 lakhs (ex-showroom New Delhi)
- Is based on the platform of Vento and shares most of the parts with it including the engine, gearbox and suspension.
- Petrol engine is 1598cc, 4 Cylinder, 8 Valve - 105 Bhp power and 153 Nm torque
- Diesel engine is 1598cc, 4 Cylinder, 8 Valve - 105 Bhp power and 250 Nm torque
- Is available in eight variants: Active petrol, Ambition petrol, Elegance petrol, Ambition automatic, Elegance automatic, Active diesel, Ambition diesel and Elegance Diesel
- Available in five attractive shades: Deep Black, Candy White, Flash Red, Brilliant Silver and Cappuccino Beige
- Feature dual SRS airbags and ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
Design and Interiors of Skoda Rapid
Skoda Rapid is based on the platform of Vento and shares most of the parts with it including the doors, windows and 90 percent of the interiors are same. Previously it was expected that it will feature latest design philosophy of Skoda Auto, which the company displayed at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show (MissonL Concept). The front is quite familiar featuring same style for the grille and headlamps like we have seen on Skoda Fabia. The side profile is similar to the Vento but the rear is altogether different with new design for boot and tail lamps. The interiors same like Vento; everything is same except the steering wheel and music system, the fit and finish is up to the mark. The top-of-the-line Rapid variant features power windows, power steering, 2-DIN music system with AUX-in and USB port, automatic climate control system, remote central locking, height adjustment for driver's seat, electric adjustment for the outside rear-view mirrors, alloy wheel, front and rear fog lamps, dual SRS airbags and ABS.
Price of Skoda Rapid
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Active - Rs. 6,75,000
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Ambition - Rs. 7,09,000
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Elegance - Rs. 7,99,000
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Ambition Automatic – Rs. 8,09,000
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Elegance Automatic – Rs. 8,99,000
- Skoda Rapid Diesel Active - Rs. 7,96,000
- Skoda Rapid Diesel Ambition - Rs. 8,29,000
- Skoda Rapid Diesel Elegance - Rs. 9,19,000
Skoda Rapid is priced very competitively at Rs. 6.75 lakhs (ex-showroom) for the base petrol model and Rs. 7.96 lakhs (ex-showroom) for the base model of diesel. It is expected that at these prices Skoda Rapid will outsell Volkswagen Vento, Fiat Linea, New Ford Fiesta and Nissan Sunny.
Engine Options of Skoda Rapid
- Petrol engine - 1598cc, 4 Cylinder, 8 Valve - 105 Bhp power and 153 Nm torque
- Diesel engine - 1598cc, 4 Cylinder, 8 Valve - 105 Bhp power and 250 Nm torque
Skoda Rapid is powered by same engines which power the Volkswagen Vento - the diesel engine which is 1598cc, 4 Cylinder, 8 Valve which develops 105 bhp and 250 Nm of torque. The petrol engine is 1598cc, 4 Cylinder, 8 Valve which develop 105 bhp and 153 Nm of torque. It is expected that both the engines will be more fuel efficient than Vento because Skoda has fine-tuned them and the weight of Rapid is less in comparison to Volkswagen Vento. The Ambition and Elegance variants of Rapid petrol have option of automatic gearbox.
Shades of Skoda Rapid
Skoda Rapid is available in five shades:
- Deep Black
- Candy White
- Flash Red
- Brilliant Silver
- Cappuccino Beige
Variants of Skoda Rapid
Skoda Rapid is available in eight variants:
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Active
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Ambition
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Elegance
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Ambition Automatic
- Skoda Rapid Petrol Elegance Automatic
- Skoda Rapid Diesel Active
- Skoda Rapid Diesel Ambition
- Skoda Rapid Diesel Elegance
Skoda Rapid is available in eight variants, the base variant (Active) will feature power windows, power steering, remote central locking, manual air-conditioner, rear defogger, steering adjustment, height adjustable driver's seat, designer wheel covers and single DIN music system. In addition to the above-mentioned features, the top-model of Rapid features 2-DIN music system with AUX-in and USB port, alloy wheels, fog lights, automatic climate control system, ABS and dual SRS airbags.
Safety Features of Skoda Rapid
- Dual SRS airbags
- ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
The top variant of Skoda Rapid features Dual SRS airbags and ABS (Anti-lock Braking System).