In a press conference in New Delhi, the Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal NAK Browne revealed the following:
- Indian Air Force has the funds for the MMRCA programme. There will be a realignment in committed liabilities and MMRCA deliveries should begin around by 2014.
- Final operational clearance for HAL LCA Tejas has been delayed by one year.
- Indian Air Force plans to induct the FGFA / PAK-FA as 166 single-seaters and 48 twin-seaters.
- The Kargil runway to operate all aircraft types, including all fighters and strategic lift aircraft. The Kargil airfield will be made fully operational for Lockheed Martin C-130J, Boeing C-17s and Ilyushin Il-76s.
- Indian Air Force will maintain 34 fighter squadrons. Squadron No. 17 will be phased out.
- First four Mil Mi-17-V5s delivered last week. More deliveries expected in the coming days. By March 2012, the Indian Air Force will have 25 units and they will be based at Suratgarh.
- Six additional Lockheed Martin C-130J Hercules ordered. These will be based in the eastern theatre.